- 43/189 patients (23%) known to have been MRSA carriers had a positive screening on admission. Of these:
- 34 patients (79%) had the last positive result from < 1 year,
- 6 patients (14%) had the last positive screning between 1-2 years,
- 3 patients (7%) had the last positive result from > 2 years.
The validity of the algorithm was tested from January to December 2012. According to the inclusion criteria, 291 acute care and 239 geriatric patients were included.
Considering as only predictive tool of MRSA carriage state the gap of less than 2 years between the last MRSA positive carrier state and admission, there were:
- 68% concordance in the application of this rule (358/530),
- 31% mismatch (164/530), of which:
- 93% (153/164) were negative when a positive test had been predicted,
- 7% (11/164) were MRSA carriers when a negative test had been predicted,
- In 1% of patients (8/530) the algorithm could not be applied due to lack of samples.